Stormwind Militia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stormwind Militia

Forum for Stormwind Militia, Scarshield Legion

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterThis is just a testLog in

Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pilus
Admin
Pilus

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-01-04

Character sheet

Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Empty
PostSubject: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 15:17

The following is a problem that I find quite central and deep regarding the militia. It is about elitism.

Quote :
Elitism:
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

There is many degrees of elitism and there will most likely always be some elisism. E.g. as RP'ers we say that we dont want to RP with people who is not RPing at all. But the essecial thing is to choose the righ amount of elitism in my opinion.

I would like to see the militia being a guild who is open towards other people, even if they dont perform well in RP. We have a quite strict requirement to who can join the militia, but I would like to see that we want to be less requirering towards others who want to RP with us.

It is a policy that would be a bit challanging for most senior members, including myself. I am writing this to myself aswell, because I need to change behavoir also.

I would like the militia to handle things IC and never reject people for RP in ooc. With a little imagination then most cases can be handled IC.

E.g. A typical Goldshire RP'er walk up to you and does a "Militia sucks" statement. A way to engage is to ask him why he think so and try to turn it constructive. Another way is to RP like he is a village idiot: Just smile and nods.

It happends that some say "ignore X, he is not doing good RP" in OOC. I would strongly suggest that when it is comming from an officer it should be "You are not forced to engage RP with X." There might still be some militia who want to and want to give the person a change. And if there is, then they shall be more than welcome to do so.

Even when it comes to horde PvP'ers, then we should try to engage. Even when castalyn is killing Goldshire people for the 5th time today, then we should not go ooc about it. A way to react to it could be. "He is too strong, so we can not do much about it. But if someone would gather enough adventures, then he could be taken down... for some time.". A less defeated approac could be: "Well, he just wont stay down, but those he kill do not stay down either, so there is not much harm done.". Again, if some militia want to engage him in battle, then a supprior could chose three solutions: either order them to stay back as he is too dangerous. Or he can engage on his own will, but must promis to come back alive. He could also encurage the militia to gather some adventures to aid him.

The Militia Meeting
The meeting. One of the most holy things to me and one of the place where I am most elitistic. There is many there who comes with hopes of RP with the militia, yet they are turned down ooc by me because I dont allow interruptions ooc. It is an examples of something that can be solved IC aswell.

While speaking I would most likely ignore some interruptions IC, but it might be an idea to let two militia have guard duty meanwhile. They could make sure that listeners and visitors stays silent and that important requests it brought to me, if they are really important. I suggest that those guards should speak low, as in speaking in IC whispers to those they speak to. In that way they dont disturb the meeting itself.

Open mind
Engaging RP with a open mind can give positive result. It can aid people learn and evolve. Acually I would say that each time one of you RP with someone new to RP, then you aid them becomming a better RP'er. In the other way, if they get ignored, then we would not have better RP'ers.

I have an example that is quite a sunshine story. It involves my own cause of action in this. It is not to brag, but is merely meant as a example.

Some weeks ago I engaged the Northshire Brotherhood in Goldshire. They were two elves and their RP was quite typical for Goldshire. However I gave them a chance and it gave some quite funny situations IC. Instead of just ignoring them OOC, then it turned out to be some IC fun. Now I can see that they have grown and are doing quite good. They add some religion RP and some fresh RP to Stormwind and I am quite happy about that.

I believe that with an open mind we can acually change the RP community. Teach a man to fish instead of telling him that he suck at fishing. I would love to see the militia being an icon of RP creators. I would like to see the militia leading not only itself to glory, but the whole SSL community. It is not something we shall just work on now, it is something we always shall do. Each time we aid a roleplayer learning new, then he will be able to teach others in the future. Together we can make the whole community evolve. Each of your actions matters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pilus.info
Nerinil

Nerinil

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2007-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 15:41

*as reading the last part she sees Pilus standing in front of some kind of flag, speaking loudly and proudly to everyone that gathered around him to hear his great speech about a better future and the way that leads there*
Back to top Go down
Arod Gryphon

Arod Gryphon

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-11-17

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 16:25

First off, I’d like to point out that I am also guilty of this.. so, I feel like I should respond.
Those who are on my ignore-list are only there because of OOC reasons, not because of IC reasons.

Now, there is some confusion between ‘Elitism’ and ‘Chain-of-command’. Pilus has every reason to be authoritive IC. Damn, he should be. However, this should not result in OOC acts as well.. and mate, as far as I know you, you’re an awesome player that knows the difference between IC and OOC.

Castalyn, however, is a challenge. Seriously, that guy assaults all PvP-flagged persons in Goldshire and dots them from the roof where people can’t assault him.. those that try to jump up, are feared. If it was once, twice.. hack, ten times.. I could live with it – but he’s doing so every damn time.

Other than that, I fully agree with things said here. As long as people remember the difference between IC and OOC. IC the officers can be authoritive (Elitism?) – but then again, they should be. OOC, we’re just players trying to have fun.. *huggle*.
Back to top Go down
Burlok

Burlok

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-06-08

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 16:46

I can see clearly now... The rain is gone!
Or well.. What i ment too say is that this thread really makes you see clearly in things. I can in my little corner of shame addmit that i ginore alot of "bad RP:ers". Guess i better act diffrently in RP and be a bit more open minded.

I know how i felt yesterday when i felt that i was ignored in RP. I actually got really pissed Razz

So yeah, that's pretty much my new moto, treat people as you want too be treated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.aspire-guild.se
Pilus
Admin
Pilus

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-01-04

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 18:12

To summary my own post:
"Teach a man to fish instead of telling him that he such at fishing."
Back to top Go down
http://www.pilus.info
Dascombe

Dascombe

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-25

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04 2008, 18:34

Arod Gryphon wrote:
First off, I’d like to point out that I am also guilty of this..

*Raises hand guiltily*
Yeah, i'm the one at the gallows here...
and pretty much Arod has just copy pasted what I was going to say Wink

Some things are just unco-operative such as Castelyn but in-turn that has lead me into thinking it can be applied to every other situation in-game, just because you don't like a glimpse of someone's RP does'nt mean others do, rather than mould others into your style of RP, shape yourself into their style
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.   Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Militia view on elitism, ignore and all that.
Page 1 of 1